You know the feeling you get from a perfectly fitted bra? One that keeps you comfortable all day long – even into the late hours of the night. Or, one that makes you feel so confident that you can do anything?
Don’t you think your friends deserve to feel this way too? Giving your friend a total bra makeover will help boost their self-esteem, improve their health, and make them look and feel good wherever they go.
If you have a friend who would benefit from a makeover – whether their bra doesn’t look natural, doesn’t fit their style, or is the wrong size - it’s time to give them the makeover they deserve.
When you approach your friend, make sure to do it tactfully, without insult. Compliment them and tell them you want them to feel confident and empowered – and bra that is tailored for their body type may be just the ticket.
Once you have them on board, it’s time to get started.
Tips To Prepare for an Exceptional Shopping Experience
• Find the latest styles – Flip through a magazine, browse online or go window-shopping to find the latest styles, what body type they’re right for, etc. Then, narrow down your choices to 3-4 styles to make the shopping trip a bit easier. Here are a few of the top styles:
o Backless or adhesive – This type of bra is great for a backless dress or top, and is secured to your skin with adhesive, provide good support and can be reused.
o Balconette – A balconette bra or shelf bra has little coverage but is great for wearing with low-cut tops because it enhances cleavage.
o Convertible – This type of bra is extremely popular because it can be worn with so many different outfits. Straps can be removed to be worn on one shoulder, criss-crossed, halter, strapless and much more.
o Demi-cup – A demi-cup bra enhances cleavage and covers about ¾ of the breast, so is also great for low-cut tops.
o Push-up – Push-up bras create increasing cleavage so your friend can choose the level of lift she wants.
o Racerback – A racerback or t-back bra is perfect underneath a tank top, as the straps come together in the back so aren’t visible.
o Seamless – Created without seams, a seamless bra is great underneath knit or lightweight fabrics because it’s nearly invisible under clothing.
o T-shirt bra – A t-shirt bra offers a smooth, seamless look under thin fabrics and clingy tops.
• Set a budget – Perhaps even before narrowing down choices, decide how much your friend can spend. Specialty lingerie stores and online retailers tend to be more expensive, but they also offer high-quality bras that will last much longer than cheaply made ones.
• Wear a non-padded bra – It’s almost time to start shopping, but before you set out, make sure your friend wears a non-padded bra so she can be more accurately measured.
Tips for A Great Bra Makeover
Now that you have the basics covered it’s time to go shop! Shop online or take your friend to a local specialty store,in search of the perfect fitting bra. Here are some things to keep in mind during your day on the town:
• Get second opinions on size – Although it’s possible for you or your friend to measure, having a professional opinion can help. Most large department and specialty stores have someone on staff who can take care of this – though the experts are wrong sometimes!
o Band size: Band size is measured by wrapping the tape measure around the middle of the chest. If the measurement is an odd number, it will be rounded up to the next even number.
o Cup size: The measurement starts with wrapping tape around the fullest part of the bust. Then, the band size is subtracted which leaves the cup size. For example, if the band measurement was 34 inches and cup was 36, this indicates a B cup.
• Experiment with a variety of styles – Have your friend choose a couple bras from each style so she can decide what fits her best.
• Check the signs of a great bra – If your friend has found the perfect bra, she will:
o Feel comfortable – The perfect bra should feel extremely comfortable so she can wear it for an entire day without feeling discomfort.
o Look great in a t-shirt – While in the dressing room, have her slip on a t-shirt to make sure she likes the silhouette.
o Not have spillover – When wearing the perfect bra, there shouldn’t be spillover on the sides or at the top.
o Not have gaps – The underwire should lie flat against the chest. If it doesn’t, perhaps a larger band size is in order.
o Not have extra fabric – Finally, the bra should fit well without having extra fabric or wrinkly cups. If it does have one of these things, she should consider going one size down.
• Have fun! Most of all, make sure you’re having fun on your shopping trip – purchasing a bra should be a bonding experience; not something that’s stressful!
And there you have it – the ticket to a perfect bra. Keep in mind these tips, or print off this checklist and take it with you next time you and your friend go bra shopping.
More Bra Fit Resources
The Ultimate Bra Fit Checklist
A Bra Fit Guide for New Brides
Bra Fit Q/A
Video: Charla's Guide to The Ultimate Bra Wardrobe
About the Author:
Cindy Prosser is an underwear model, a freelance writer and a mom. Not necessarily in that order anymore though :) She believes that good fitting Bras can change the world - well, your world at least ;) She's working to spread the "good-fit = happiness gospel" for Bare Necessities.
I would like to thank Cindy for her article submission!! :) I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.