Search

Your Ad Here

Friday, October 1, 2010

Alexander Tome: NY Hairstylist Spotlight

Alexander Tome is an awesome hair stylist working out of New York City. He specializes in photo,runway, beauty, and bridal work.

He has worked for many international clients, including magazines Kurv, Page, Vanidades, Supermodels Unlimited, Chaos, Stilo, Filler and Harrod's.

Alexander's work has also graced the runways of Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week.


Double Beauty:
Photographer: Tanya Kechichian
Makeup: Fernando Haddad @ Amy Kirkman
Hair: Alexander Tome
Wardrobe: Davis Carrasquillo
Models: Heather @ Muse and Julia @ Q



AVIVA: How long have you been doing hair?
ALEXANDER TOME:
I'm a relative newbie to the business. I've been doing hair total about five years, but I've only been freelance and doing session work for about two and a half years.

AVIVA: What excites you the most about being a hairstylist?
AT:
Well, it's a constantly innovative market. We're at a time in the industry where there are always new technologies coming out to help us achieve things that before we never thought possible or could only be done with a ridiculous amount of work. I also love that as a session stylist I'm constantly meeting new and interesting people on every job that I take.



Beige Beauty Shot:
Photographer: Janira Martinez
Makeup: Elizabeth Gerbino
Hair: Alexander Tome
Model: Elisabet @ Major


AVIVA: What do you feel has been your greatest accomplishment in the fashion world?
AT:
Well, I'll be honest and say that I don't think that I have achieved anything too stellar, but I'm doing my third NY Fashion Week event next week, so that's definitely exciting. If I had to pick my top accomplishment, though, it would be connecting with L'Oreal spokesperson Johnny Lavoy as my mentor. He's taught me so much, not just about hair, but my attitude as a stylist and overall career aesthetic.

And I just got an editorial an editorial in the hair fashion magazine Highlights. You should eventually be able to see the story on My Fashion Database (http://www.myfdb.com). I'm pretty excited about that!


B/W Sweater Dress:
Photographer: Robert August
Makeup: Elizabeth Gerbino
Hair: Alexander Tome
Model: Jenny @ Code



AVIVA: How did you get started with hairstyling?
AT:
Well, I started out as a failed art student at Frostburg State University in Western Maryland which I left after one year. I worked a summer of retail hell and then my mom actually urged me to check the new Paul Mitchell school that opened near me. As soon as I stepped in the door, I knew it was for me. While I was in school I worked at a successful salon in Rockville, MD and after I graduated, I snipped the strings holding me and moved to NY with my friend and fellow hair stylist Devin.


Musicians:
Filler Magazine Summer 2010
Photographer: Sebastian Piras
Makeup: Angelique Velez
Hair: Alexander Tome
Wardrobe: Gabrielle Swan
Models: Unisex Salon



AVIVA: Do you have any tips on how to make hair shiny and silky, as well as get rid of flyaway hairs?
AT:
You absolutely must take care of your hair, first and foremost. Using professional quality shampoos and conditioners that are formulated for your hair type is your first step. If you color your hair, then deep conditioning masks once or twice a week. If your hair is dull, coarse and unruly, then I love to use Moroccan oil as a blowout serum. It keeps your hair slick and shiny against some pretty tough conditions. A light mist of some workable light hold hair spray like Sebastian's Reshaper Zero Gravity over the top should take care of any flyaways.

AVIVA:Do you have any products that you can personally recommend using in order to minimize split ends and improve the overall health of hair?
AT:
The single most important thing you can do to avoid split ends is get trims regularly. Every six weeks is the average time of need, but several of my clients that don't color their hair or style it very much can go upwards of 2 or even three months without serious consequences.


Fro Fashion:
Canvas Magazine - DIY Issue
Photographer: Tanya Kechichian
Makeup: Jenny Kanavaros
Hair: Alexander Tome
Wardrobe: Davis Carrasquillo
Model: Valentina @ Q



AVIVA: If money/time were no object, what is your ultimate goal with hairstyling?
AT:
My main ambition had always been to open an elite hair school with campuses around the world that my students would spend a couple months in each to learn how hair is treated in different cultures. Most people don't realize it, but In Japan, the UK, France, and other places, they have totally different methods of hair styling. And beyond the methods, I want my students to be citizens of the world. A wider view of the worlds cultures can only ever help someone's career and spiritual health.

AVIVA: Do you have any additional comments?
AT:
I'm just so thankful that I get to wake up every day knowing that when I head off to work, it's to do something that I love and to be surrounded by people that I love and respect. Nothing is better than a day on set charged with creative energy.

You can see more of Alexander's work on his WEBSITE and you can follow him on Facebook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stay tuned for more interviews, insights, tips and giveaways!
Aviva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...