Search

Your Ad Here

Friday, April 29, 2011

Interview with Neil Snape, Talented Photographer in France

Neil Snape is a very talented editorial, beauty, commercial and fashion photographer based in France. He has done ad campaigns, magazine work, and much much more!

I am thrilled to have been able to interview him.


Photo: Neil Snape, Make-up: Sally Stone

AVIVA: How long have you been a photographer?
NEIL SNAPE:
I had my first SLR when I was 20. I went through photo books, magazines, and tried as hard as I could to make nice pictures. Assisted when I was 24, and had my first professional studio at 26.

AVIVA:Have you always wanted to be a photographer, or did you want to do something else before?
NS:
I think my destiny was to be a photographer but ignored it or denied it. I did go to school for engineering and did work for 6 years as an engineer before going full time.


Photo: Neil Snape

AVIVA: What inspires you as a photographer?
NS:
Anything, and everything done well, pictures, of course, that take my breath away due to the beauty of the image.

AVIVA: Do you pre-visualize your photos, or do you put all the components together as you go?
NS:
I try to always make a collection of possible images that would work for the pictures to be done. For magazines, I often draw out the story beforehand to show to others, as well as have a clear direction on set.


Photo: Neil Snape

AVIVA: What achievements are you most proud of? (publications, etc)
NS:
The goal when leaving Vancouver for Paris was to shoot for Vogue. I did for Vogue Homme, yet stayed on in Paris doing lots of ads and editorials. Recently an unexpected award for a competition in PDN, was a milestone. Another turning point is the first exposition I’ve had in Milan.

AVIVA: Do you have any crazy/funny/weird photoshoot experience that is memorable and you can share?
NS:
Once while shooting in Kamloops B.C. in a desert where there are sand dunes and tumbleweed, I was shooting some swimwear. The model was to change over by one of the bushes, and came running back stark naked screaming help. She left the swimwear in the bush, as there was a 1.5 metre rattlesnake at the base of the bush!


Photo: Neil Snape

AVIVA: What would you do if you won the lottery?
NS:
Be able to take the pictures I want without constraints.

AVIVA: What do you believe are/is the biggest challenge(s) faced by photographers?
NS:
Change in how things are done, what media types will exist and how we deal with an all electronic future.

AVIVA: Do you have any additional comments?
NS:
If anyone has some advice on which agents in NY would be good to contact, that would advance the project of moving there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can check out Neil's WEBSITE, BLOG, FACEBOOK, and MODEL MAYHEM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to thank Neil for this interview, and I wish him all the best for many years to come.

Aviva :)

***Photos on this page are copyright of Neil Snape***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...