Search

Your Ad Here

Monday, March 14, 2011

Interview with Celebrity Make-up Artist/Hairstylist Anthony Gordon

Anthony Gordon is an amazingly talented celebrity, fashion, commercial, editorial, TV, film, and beauty make-up artist based in Los Angeles, California.

Above: Fashion Week Ad 2010

Anthony has done make-up for countless print ads, TV/films, commercials and lookbooks. In addition, his work has been in Cosmo U.K., Bullet, Moda FG, Rolling Stone, Lucky, O.K., Fight Sport, Angeleno, Elsevier,Flaunt, Jimon, The New Cinema, Nylon, 160g, WNWN, The Advocate, and California Fashion Apperal news.

With his talent beyond measure, it is not surprising that he has worked with notables such as Ashlee Simpson, Aubrey Dollar, Balthazar Getty, Biz Stone, Cameron Richardson, Casey Affleck, Dan Ackroyd, Dan Butler, David Lee Roth, David La Chapelle, Ed Begley Jr., Eduardo Cruz, Flava Flav, Floyd Mayweather, Frank Gorshen, Gene Simmons, Grant Show, Julia Stiles, Henry Rollins, Hugh Heffner, Kirt Russel, Jessica Lowndes, Jodie Foster, Jo Frost, Kathy Ireland, Kevin Sorbo, Larry King, Lori Loughlin, Laura San Giacomo, Lee Majors, Leslie Ann Warren, Luke Wilson, Melani B ( Scary Spice ), Michelle Lee, Michelle Phillips, Mischa Barton, Nanette Fabre, Richard Burgi, Sally Kirkland, Susan Walters, Taraji Henson, and Tony Hawk.

This year, he did make-up for 5 Superbowl Commercials, although he pretty much always did one.

I feel very honoured that Anthony has given me some time to ask him a few questions about his career.

AVIVA: How long have you been doing make-up?
ANTHONY GORDON:
I've been in the business since 1980.

AVIVA:Have you always wanted to be a make-up artist, or did you want to do something else when you were younger?
AG:
When I was younger, I wanted to be an actor , dancer , or singer, but it wasn't till the late 70's , during the change from disco to nu wave, that I realized I had an ability to transform people through hair, makeup, and styling. I never looked back from there.

AVIVA: What is your favorite part of your job?
AG:
My favorite part of my job is working with others, I'm a huge people person. I love being able to create looks for actors, models, bands, working with directors creating the looks for their projects, and I love re-branding people, giving them a new vision on how they can better represent themselves through their look. It's an amazing, rewarding gift.

Image courtesy of Anthony Gordon (hair/make-up), copyright Michelle Ricks

AVIVA: What do you believe are your greatest accomplishments in the beauty industry (publications, magazines, etc)?
AG
: I can't say I have a single greatest accomplishment in this industry, I'm really proud of so many things I have had the privilege to be a part of in this industry, having the opportunity to work with some of our age's great artists like, John Landis, David La Chapelle, Peter Arnel, and being called back to work repeatedly for them, I think that is one of the most satisfying aspects of what we do, being called again and again to work, I think to my partial credit I have worked on many Golden Lion award winning campaigns. I'm very proud that when I have set goals in this industry I have been lucky enough or have had to opportunity to make them happen.
A few recent goals I had set for myself last year was to get my work in a major publications and now I'm working with David Leslie Anthony creating fashion stories for Cosmo UK, another goal I had that came true this last year was to become the first call for Director Bryan Buckley, no commercial director works harder or more and after 3 years of "checking in". I made his first call list and we have rocked out a ton of great ad campaigns, also I had really wanted to work with branding greats and my agency Next artists hooked me up with Peter Arnell, we just launched the GNC campaign, and he is calling me back for more. That makes me very proud.


AVIVA: What are the names of some artists that inspire you?
AG:
Some of the artists that inspire me , ugggggg! there are too many to list. But, first I would have to mention Andy Warhol. Why? Because Andy broke the rules, made us question: What is art?, Why is this important, or valid? I like artists that make us think: is this beautiful, interesting. I love seeing what choices artists make and what was their inspiration.
I love Artists like Kabuki, Pat Mcgrath, I love Billy B, not only for his work but for his humility and being just such a great unassuming guy (he was my neighbor for years before we both knew we were makeup artists, one day we were having breakfast and by chance it came out, "so ,,,, what do you do for a living?" Needless to say, I was a bit shocked when I found out my neighbor Billy, was in fact Billy B, ha ha ha !
Others that inspire me are artists like Roshar simply because of their style of work and I have to mention Jordan Liberty, for his drive and followthrough, there are so many qualities I admire in different artists.



AVIVA: What would you do if you won the lottery?
AG:
If I won the lottery, first I'd make my husband retire. I'd buy a place in NYC so I could easily work on both coasts (I'm not ready to retire ), buy a place in Hawaii, because that's the other place I like to call home and I lived in Hawaii for almost a decade and I'm really into surfing when not working. And probably buy a place in San Sebastian, Spain, my other home and where my family is from. I love travel and there are so many amazing places to live and spend time.
And, of course, buy lots of makeup!!!!



AVIVA: Do you have any favorite skin care products that you use and would recommend to others?
AG:
My favorite skin care product right now is Lily B, all around, it is the best thing I've used that works amazingly well across the board, super simple, super clean and pure, I'm a huge fan!! You go Liz Bishop ( creator of Lily B )

AVIVA: Do you have any additional comments?
AG:
I once read a quote that has stuck with me and I find true for anything you want to achieve in life , it goes ........
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

I would like to thank Anthony for the interview and the insight into his life. He has a lot going for him, and I am always excited to see what he will do next.
You can see more of his stunning work on his website by clicking HERE.

I wish Anthony all the best! He would be a dream to work with!

Aviva

1 comment:

  1. when it comes to fashion it has to involved on almost all aspects of beauty. From the props, dress to the make up and hair style. To the eye creams, Gold Eye Serum and the concealers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...