Search

Your Ad Here

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kat of Nightshade Beauty: A True Artist from Vancouver

I am thrilled to have been able to interview Kat, the creative director of Nightshade Beauty. She is a make-up artist, hair stylist, wardrobe stylist, creative muse, model scout, and much more!

Kat is outstanding at what she does. She is very dedicated to her art, and truly enjoys being creative.

I met Kat when I traveled to Vancouver for a photoshoot with Eriko Yamamoto and Shimon Karmel for submission to Contessa. For more info about the shoot, see my post about Working On Set With a Great Team of People
After I got my photos, I was amazed at how beautiful they looked! The make-up that Kat did was flawless. When I looked at her portfolio on Model Mayhem I saw the rest of her beautiful work, and therefore I wanted to share her art with others.


Above Image Credits(Doll Parts 3):Model-Oxana,MUA/Hair/Concept-Nightshade,Photo-Shimon Karmel,Styling- New World Designs and www.deadkittie.com


Above Image Credits(Doll Parts 2): Model-Tina,MUA/Hair/Concept-Nightshade,Photo-Shimon Karmel, Styling-Flaming Angels Boutique and www.deadkittie.com


AVIVA: How long have you been involved in the fashion/beauty industry?
KAT:
I’ve actually only been involved in the beauty industry for about 2 years…but fashion and beauty have been a lifelong obsession. I used to get home from school and watch Fashion Television religiously…everything was so beautiful and I wanted desperately to be a part of it. From my very first photoshoot I knew that I wanted to do this for the rest of my life.


Image Credits: Model-Natalie (ModelMayhem #1422917),Photo-Melissa Dinsdale(Model Mayhem #870421),MUA/Hair: Nightshade

AVIVA: How did you get started in this industry?
KAT:
I’d been wanting to take makeup artistry courses for about 10 years before I finally had the time and support to do it…when I finally found a school that I could take classes at part-time (evenings and weekends) I couldn’t deny it any longer. I dove right in to photoshoots and fashion shows while still in school and it hasn’t stopped yet.

AVIVA: Besides make-up, I know you also do a lot of other things at shoots. What else do you do?
KAT:
I have a very hard time settling into a role as JUST makeup artist…I do
hairstyling, wardrobe, art direction, posing direction, hold lights and reflectors, find other angles for the photographer…just about anything I can to help achieve the best finished product. I’m a one-woman team sometimes. Depending on the shoot, I always have a vision in mind of what “the shot” should look like, and I take a lot of pride in what I do and in my involvement. The final look of a shoot is just as important to me as it is to the photographer.


Image Credits: Model-Cori(ModelMayhem #1187383),Photo-Ben Lee (ModelMayhem #420549), MUA/Hair-Nightshade

AVIVA: What excites you the most about being involved in make-up artistry?
KAT:
Like many makeup artists, I truly enjoy helping people see a different side of themselves…makeup is transformative. I’ve seen shy, quiet models (who might not even be models) turn into demons in front of the camera because they feel so strong and empowered.Otherwise, the creativity of this art drives me the most…pushing boundaries and creating something new and unique is my goal…I love learning about my craft and I’m always pushing myself to try new techniques and new ideas.

AVIVA:Do you have any weird/funny/interesting photoshoot experience that you would like to share?
KAT:
Oh I’ve got LOTS…but my favorite shoot is actually my very first shoot…at an abandoned house in Richmond. We did the posters for a fashion show called “Doll Parts” and it was my very very first creative shoot…I was SO scared to mess up, but everything came out beautifully and that’s where I got the idea that it was normal for a MUA to assist in every part of the shoot…it just felt right. FYI, there are VERY large rats in Richmond…ugh.


Image Credits: Photo-Melissa Dinsdale (ModelMayhem# 870421),MUA/Hair/Concept-Nightshade

AVIVA: You're also a co-owner of Morrismore Productions; could you tell me more about the company?
KAT:
Morrismore Productions is very special to me…my husband started the company in 2005 as a networking opportunity for Vancouver artists, focusing on musicians and liver performance…over the years it’s morphed into many things, but we’re still all about collaboration and helping people grow as artists, whether they are musicians, dancers,models, designers, or makeup artists…it’s all about making the industry into something better through cooperation and support within the artistic community. Something that we feel is lacking in Vancouver. In April we launched Morrismore Models, the only Alternative Modeling Agency in Western Canada and we’ve already signed 42 amazing alternative ladies. I have to mention that Alternative has many connotations…when I say alternative,I mean “non-mainstream”, the MM girls are tall, short, burlesque, diverse, tattooed,dreadlocked, every shape, size and colour, and are ALL gorgeous creatures who are dedicated to what they do in every aspect of their lives. We are very proud of them and what we have created together.

AVIVA: Where has some of your work been published/featured?
KAT:
I’ve been fortunate that in the short time that I’ve been active in the Vancouver fashion scene to have worked with some amazing people. My work is featured on a monthly basis with Miko Kuro’s Midnight Tea (www.mikokuro.com) and has been published in the “Midnight Tea Book” in January 2010, and UBC’s online “Skewed” Magazine(Issue #8). In April, I was invited to Paris, France, to participate in an international Midnight Tea, an experience which will also be documented and published. My first tear sheet was from July 2009 in the Georgia Straight for a fashion show with Nancy Perreault (I was so excited, I think we have about 15 copies at home). My first photoshoot was also turned into posters, flyers and tickets for Morrismore’s Doll Parts show in November 2009. I’ve also done online catalogue work with fiveleft leather(www.fiveleft.ca) and Spark Design (www.spark-girl.com). Giuseppina Magazine will also be publishing some work I did in their next issue (September 2010) and Vancouver Fashion ezine’s September 2010 issue as well as their annual print issue for 2010. I’m always hoping for more…


Image Credits: Model-Miko Kuro (Model Mayhem #1249666) www.mikokuro.com,Photo-Dafang Jiang, MUA-Nightshade

AVIVA: If time/money was no object, what is your ultimate goal in this industry?
KAT:
No object? Hmmm… Well for starters, my kit would be FULL of all of the products I drool over constantly… Time is my biggest brick wall currently…I’d love to have the time to get all of the stuff that’s in my head on to paper and on to faces and into print. Ultimate goal? Creative control on an Haute Couture Paris runway. That is my gold ring.

AVIVA: Do you have any additional comments?
KAT:
Two quotes that I love, and take with me all the time…

“I don't like standard beauty - there is no beauty without strangeness.”
~Karl Lagerfeld

“Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.”
~Kahlil Gibran
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish Kat continued success in this industry. She is very talented and I only hope the best for her.

Kat's Website can be found HERE
Become a Fan Of Nightshade Beauty on FACEBOOK

Thank you,
Aviva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...